Friday, November 27, 2009

Meeting of like minds Summer 2009


I went to Todd Johnson's studio this summer to meet with him and to talk about one of my favorite subjects, high grade pipes. We talked about the many separate elements that go into the construction of a great pipe. Not only in beauty of grain and design but also in the technical aspects of a pipe. The only thing I was wishing when I left was that I had allowed more time to spend talking with my new friend about our mutual interest. I told Todd that I was going to plan another trip to see him in the
fall and this time, I would allow for more time to work with him
in his studio. Todd was very gracious over the few days I was with him this summer and he told me he would be glad to have me come back and work with him.

Some pipe makers say they do not need or want outside influence being a factor in their work. I do not believe this is possible unless you close yourself off from the world and never look at another pipe but the ones you make yourself. You will not find any great artist that did not work with fellow artist. These artist usually lived in artist dominated communities, absorbing each others thoughts and taking into consideration the processes that each one follows to produce their work. In the end creating beautiful works of art that are considered by the public to be the sole work of the artist, is in reality a collaboration of everything the artist has learned through his artistic career. The artist draws from a well of knowledge passed to him by other artist as well as his own experiences working in his particular medium.

In my chosen craft, I want to hear all the ideas and obtain all the information that I can on the subject of High Grade Pipes. I talk to and work with fellow pipe makers so at the end of the day
I will have a deep well of knowledge to draw from. Some pipe smokers think of a pipe as a tool to smoke their favorite tobacco. Others consider the High Grade Pipe in itself a work of art that should be treasured in their collection like any great work of art. Picasso and Matisse would go to each others homes and study each others work. They would even create paintings for each other and trade ideas frequently. These artist probably did not always agree on technique or execution. Matisse needed outside stimulation often painting at the location or by using models.
Picasso needed little outside influence, he would rarely leave his studio working mostly from his imagination. If two great artist like Picasso and Matisse can trade ideas and admire each others work, while still remaining great friends, then I believe pipe makers should do no less.

No comments:

Post a Comment